OBITUARY OF THE RIGHT REVEREND VINCENT MALONE AUXILIARY BISHOP EMERITUS OF LIVERPOOL


Vincent Malone was born in Liverpool on 11 September 1931. His early education was in
the local parish school at St Oswald’s, Old Swan. From 1942 to 1949 he attended St
Francis Xavier College which was then run by the Jesuits in Salisbury Street, Liverpool. At
the age of eighteen he went to St Joseph’s College, Upholland to study for the priesthood
and was ordained in his home parish of St Oswald, Old Swan on 18 September 1955.
His first appointment was to be Chaplain at Notre Dame Convent and College in Mount
Pleasant, Liverpool (1955-1959) and while there he studied at Liverpool University and
was awarded a Bachelor of Science (B Sc) in 1959. From Cambridge University he
obtained in 1960 a Post graduate Certificate in education (PGCE) and in 1964 a Diploma
in Education (Dip Ed). In 1967 he became a Fellow of the College of Preceptors (FcollP).
From 1960 to 1961 he served as Assistant Priest at St Anne’s, Overbury Street, Liverpool
and was a part-time teacher at St Francis Xavier’s Preparatory School which was at that
time also the Cathedral Choir School. Then for the next ten years (1961-1971) he served
on the staff of Cardinal Allen Grammar school for Boys, first as an assistant teacher and
eventually as Head of the Department for Religious Studies.
In 1971 he was appointed by Archbishop Beck as Catholic Chaplain to the University of
Liverpool based in the Chaplaincy on Mount Pleasant. In 1979 Archbishop Worlock
appointed him as Administrator of the Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King and the
following year he was appointed Honorary Prelate (Monsignor) and Canon of the
Metropolitan Chapter.
In 1980 he was elected Chairman of Convocation of Liverpool University, the first
churchman to hold that post. During his three-year term of office the University celebrated
its centenary in 1981.
He has also served as Chairman of the Archdiocesan Council of Priests, Northern
Regional Coordinator for the 1982 Papal Visit, Deputy Speaker of the Merseyside and
Region Churches Ecumenical Assembly and Chairman of its Standing Committee. In
1981 he was appointed to be a member of Archbishop’s Council and a Trustee of the
Archdiocese, in which capacity he served until 2019.
He was ordained as Titular Bishop of Abora and Auxiliary Bishop of Liverpool by
Archbishop Worlock in the Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King, Liverpool on 3 July

  1. He served as Chairman of the Bishops’ Conference Committee for Higher
    Education and as Episcopal Liaison for the National Board of Catholic Women.
    His resignation as Auxiliary Bishop was accepted on 26 October 2006, shortly after his 75th
    birthday, but he continued in his roles as Vicar General and Trustee of the Archdiocese
    until last year and as Canon of the Metropolitan Cathedral Chapter until very recently.
    May he rest in peace